Attorneys who wish to view restricted documents may follow the
instructions below. Both CM/ECF and PACER accounts are
View restricted documents in CM/ECF
1. Log in to CM/ECF (PC users use
this link; Mac users use
this link). Enter the Login and Password information
(required) and the Client Code (optional; for your records).
Click on the Login button at the bottom of the screen.
2. On the Startup Page, select Reports > PACER Report from
the menu bar.
3. The PACER login screen will open automatically. Enter
the Login and Password information (required) and the Client
Code (optional; for your records). Click on the Login button
at the bottom of the screen.
4. The PACER Case Search page will open automatically.
Enter the number of the case that includes the restricted
documents in the Case Number / Range box, as shown below.
5. The case will appear in the format shown below. To view
the documents filed in the case, click on the case number in
the box titled Case No./Title.
6. From the docket sheet, select the document(s) to view
by clicking the hyperlinked number between the date and the
7. A dialog box will open with a reminder that the
document is restricted. Click the OK button at the bottom of
the dialog box to continue with the document download.
8. On the Download Confirmation screen, click on the
button at the bottom of the screen titled Accept Charges and
Note: If an attorney tries to retrieve a restricted document
without logging into CM/ECF, the message below will display.
Simply click on OK and following the instructions above,
retrieve the document by logging into CM/ECF.
Last modified at 10/28/2010