These instructions pertain to filing a party's correspondence and forms. For general information, screenshots, and
step-by-step instructions for filing electronically see Filing
a document. Separate instructions govern filings by
1. Prepare the letter or
form. Save it as a searchable PDF.
2. Log in to CM/ECF. On the startup page, select Filing > File a Document
3. On the File a Document screen, enter the case number in the
Case field and hit the Tab key on the keyboard. The case number and name appear at the top of the screen and in the Case Selection box toward the bottom of the screen.
4. On the left side of the screen, select Correspondence/Forms/Letters.
On the right side of the screen, select the type of correspondence or form being filed.
View instructions on filing an amicus brief.
In the example below, Form D FILED is selected.
5. In the Party Filer section at the top of the screen, click the box to the left of the filer on whose behalf the petition is filed. See
Selecting the filing party for step-by-step instructions.
6. Scroll down to the PDF Document section in the middle of the screen to upload the brief and appendix. The system automatically fills in the
Description box with the selection made on the previous screen. Click the
Browse button to the right of the Document box to navigate to the brief saved on the filer's computer.
A dialog box titled Select PDF Document opens. Navigate to the folder containing the PDF using the Look in pull-down list at the top of the dialog box. Select the PDF file to attach by clicking the file name. The file name appears in the
File name field near the bottom of the dialog box.
Click the Open button.
The docketing screen reopens. The name of the uploaded brief now appears
in the Document box in the PDF Document section of the
The View button now is active. To verify that the correct document is uploaded, click the View button to open the uploaded PDF.
7. To attach the appendix or other document needed for this filing (e.g., a certificate of service), click the
Add Another button. The PDF Document area expands to include another
Document box, another Browse button, and a
Description box for the second document.
Click the new Browse button and select the file in the Select PDF Document dialog box, as above. Click the OK button.
When the additional document -- in this example, the appendix -- is uploaded, the file name appears in the second Document box. The View button is active for the filer to verify that the correct document is uploaded. The second Description box default entry is
"Supporting Document." Edit the text in the Description box to describe the uploaded document.
NOTE: The certificate of service need not be a separate document. The certificate of service can be part of the main document attached to the filing.
To attach another document to the filing, repeat step 7.
8. When all documents are attached and described, scroll down to the
Service section of the screen. Enter the service date (today's date or earlier date on which service is made) in mm/dd/yyyy format in the
Service Date box. (To generate a service list, click
Reports > Service List at the top of the screen. The service list search screen opens in a new browser window.)
Click the checkbox(es) corresponding to the type of service employed.
When the party filer is selected, all documents for this filing are uploaded and described, and the service date is entered and service means selected, click the Continue button at the bottom of the screen.
9. The Docket Text dialog box opens to show the text of the entry as it will appear on the docket report once the filing is complete. The text in this dialog box cannot be changed.
Review the text of the docket entry for the filing. If any changes to the filing are necessary, click the
Back button to return to earlier screens in the filing process.
10. Click the Continue button. The Event Review dialog box opens.
The text in the white box can be edited. Make any necessary redactions. DO NOT EDIT numbers in brackets. The preferred method for editing this text is to click the
Back button to return to earlier screens in the filing process and make the appropriate changes on those screens.
Click the Submit button to confirm the filing. A pop-up box opens to verify that the event is docketed.
Click the OK button.
11. The docketing screen reopens, and the Notice of Docket Activity (NDA) - identical to the email sent to opposing counsel - simultaneously opens in a browser.
NOTE: If the notice does not appear in a new browser window, check the browser's pop-up blocker settings. Pop-ups from the Court's site must be allowed.
To close the browser, click the red X in the upper right-hand corner. Continue working in CM/ECF or log out of the system.
Last modified at 2/5/2013