(a) Form of Brief. Briefs must conform to FRAP 32(a), except
as set forth below:
(1) Cover. The title appearing on the front cover of a brief
must include the name of the party or parties for whom the
brief is filed. The docket number of the case must appear in
type at least one inch high.
(2) Pamphlet Briefs. If a litigant prefers to file a printed
brief in pamphlet format, it must conform to the following
- Size of page: 6 1/8 by 9 1/4 inches.
- Sides used: both.
- Margins: at least one inch on all sides.
- Font size: 12-point type or larger, for text and footnotes.
- Spacing: 2-points or more leading between lines; 6-points
or more between paragraphs.
- Other specifications: must conform to FRAP 32(a).
(3) Sequential Numbering. The pages of a brief must contain sequential numbering. A Filing User must adjust the PDF of the brief to recognize the Filing User’s sequential numbering scheme in the PDF’s page search field.
(b) Form of Appendix. An appendix must conform to FRAP 32(b),
except as set forth below:
(1) Cover. The docket number of the case must appear in type
at least one inch high.
(2) Multi-volume Appendix. An appendix that exceeds 300 pages must be divided into separate volumes, each of which must not exceed 300 pages.
(3) Sequential Numbering. The pages of an appendix must
contain sequential numbering. A Filing User must adjust the PDF of the brief to recognize the Filing User’s sequential numbering scheme in the PDF’s page search field. The pages of an appendix may be printed on both sides.
(4) Tabs. Tabs may be used to separate documents in the
(5) Condensed Transcripts. An appendix may contain condensed
transcripts, not to exceed 4 panels per page.
(6) Detailed Table of Contents. An appendix, and each
volume therein, must contain a
detailed table of contents, including the sequential page
numbers where each document can be located. The table of
contents must provide a description of each document that is
sufficient to inform the court of its nature; designation
solely by exhibit number or letter is insufficient.
(c) Special Appendix. If the appendix, exclusive of the
orders, opinions, and judgments being appealed, exceeds 300
pages, the parties must file a Special Appendix that conforms
to (b), and that contains the (1) orders, opinions,
and judgments being appealed, and (2) the text, with
appropriate citation, of any significant rule of law,
including any constitutional provision, treaty, statute,
ordinance, regulation, rule, or sentencing guideline. The
Special Appendix may be an addendum at the end of a brief or a
separately bound volume designated “Special Appendix.”
<< Return to Rules | Local Rules | Title VII. General Provisions | Local Rule 32.1
Last modified at