This step in the filing process is required so that the docket entry includes a link to the related previous entry to which the current motion is responding.
Not all filing types require the filer to link the current filing to a related previous filing. The example used here – filing a motion in opposition to an existing motion – is one of the filing types that requires selection of a related previous entry. Go on to the next step,
providing additional information, if the screen shown below does not display during the filing process.
1. After selecting the party filer and uploading all PDF documents related to the filing, scroll down to the Related Previous Entries section of the filing screen. All previous filings in the case are listed here.
2. Select (click) the previous filing to which the current filing is related. When selected, the previous filing is highlighted.
3. Click the Add button to the right of the list of related previous filings.
4. The previous filing now appears in the list of Selected Entries.
When the filing is completed, the docket entry for the new filing contains a link – the hyperlinked  – to the related previous entry.
5. After selecting the filer, uploading the PDFs, and selecting the related previous entry if required, the screen appears as below.
Click the Continue button at the bottom of the screen. The next step is to provide additional filing information.
Continue to Providing additional
filing information >> |
<< Return to Filing a document | << Return to How to use CM/ECF
Last modified at 12/5/2012