Filing a document: Entering the case number and selecting the
To file a document, first select the case to which the document will be attached. Then select the category and type of filing.
1. In the upper left part of the File a Document screen, type the case number in the Case box and press the Tab key on the keyboard.
The case number and title now appear below the menu bar on the File a Document screen. In addition, the case number and title appear in the Case Selection box in the lower part of the screen.
The Case Selection box may list other cases associated to the case number entered in the Case box. If more than one case appears in the Case Selection box, be sure to check each case to which the filing applies. Filing will be accomplished in all checked cases regardless of the type of association shown in parentheses.
2. Click the button for a category in the list of filing categories on the left side of the screen. A list of filing types specific to that category appears under Select One on the right side of the screen.
In the list of filing categories on the left side of the screen, the default filing category is Briefs/Appendices. The window on the right shows a list of all possible filing types in the Briefs/Appendices category.
To see all the filing type options for the category Briefs/Appendices, use the mouse to grab and pull down the slider bar on the right of the filing types list. To see a full list of all filing types for each filing category, click here.
3. After selecting the filing category from the list on the left side of the screen, select the type of document to be filed from the list of document types on the right side of the screen.
For example, to file an opposition to a motion, a filer would select the Appl, Motn, Pet for Rhg, Supp, Oppos button in the filing categories list, then select Opposition FILED in the filing types list.
4. After selecting the filing category and document type, click the Continue button at the bottom of the screen. Depending on the type of filing selected, a warning dialog box may open. If this dialog box appears, carefully review the information and click the OK button.
A new screen opens for entering details about the filing. In this example the screen is divided into three sections: Party Filer, PDF Document, and Related Previous Entries. Other filing types may not include the Related Previous Entries section on this screen. Other filing types may include the Service section on this screen.
5. See the following pages for instructions for completing the different areas on the screen:
Last modified at 12/5/2012