In CM/ECF a user must always attach a PDF when filing a document. Documents are attached to an event using the PDF Document section of the filing screen.
Note: All PDFs filed in the Second Circuit must be text-searchable. For information on creating a searchable PDF, click
here. Filed PDFs must not be corrupt or contain malicious links or links that launch programs. To check the PDF before uploading, follow these instructions.
Follow these steps to attach a PDF to a filing.
1. In the PDF Document area in the middle of the filing screen, click the Browse button to the right of the Document box.
2. The Select PDF document dialog box opens. By default the Select PDF document dialog box points to the last location accessed to attach documents from within CM/ECF.
Navigate to the folder containing the PDF using the Look in pull-down list at the top of the dialog box. Select the PDF file to attach by clicking the file name. The file name appears in the File name box near the bottom of the dialog box.
Click the Open button at the bottom right of the dialog box. The Select PDF document dialog box closes and CM/ECF displays in the Document box the selected file with the full path. The Description box automatically fills with the filing type selected on the previous screen.
The View button now is active. To verify that the correct document is uploaded, click the View button to open the uploaded PDF.
3. To attach another document click the Add Another button. The PDF Document area expands to include another Document box, another Browse button, and a Description box for the second document.
4. Click the Browse button to the right of the new Document box.
5. In the Select PDF document dialog box, select the next PDF file to attach.
6. Click the OK button.
7. In the Description box next to the file just added, type a description for the attachment. The system defaults to "Supporting Document" in the Description box, but a user can highlight and type over that text. In the example below, a certificate of service is added.
NOTE: The certificate of service need not be a separate document. The certificate of service can be part of the main document attached to the filing.
8. To attach another document, return to Step 3 above.
9. When all PDFs are attached to the filing, scroll down to the next section of the screen. In the example above, the next section is Related Previous Entries. Not all filing types require selection of a related previous entry, and that section may not appear on the filing screen. For examples of screens for filing particular documents, see these pages:
The next step is to select the related previous entry, if required. If this step is not required, the next step is to provide additional information.
Continue to Related
Previous Entries >> |Continue to Providing additional
filing information >> | << Return to Filing a document | << Return to How to use CM/ECF
Last modified at 12/5/2012